"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." -Doug and Alex

-Wayne Gretzky

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Airport Romance

There are certain moments in life that are deemed to be more romantic than others.  These scenes are constantly played over and over on the movies and television shows, written about in books, and often fantasized about by people desperate to find that moment so built up in our heads.  One of these moments is without a doubt picking your girl up at the airport.  Just think about it.  Where does Ross have to chase down Rachel in the final episode of Friends so that he can win her back once and for all?  The airport.  How many shows of Seinfeld revolve around scenes in the airport?  Too many to count.  In light of this, I couldn't think of anything that would be more interesting than to experience the hype for myself.  It was this thought process that made me jump at the opportunity to pick my serb up at the airport following her lengthy trip, first from Belgrade to Munich, then finally on to the great United States of America.  I couldn't help but let myself get caught up in the supposed romance of the situation.  I imagined her walking down the ramp towards me as I casually strolled to greet her, calm and collected, before I took her into my arms and gave her a passionate and longing kiss.  I thought to myself that the world would just slip away around us, the commotion of the airport fading to nothing as if the only thing that mattered was the girl in front of me and the moment we were happily stuck in.  

All of this I'm sure sounds unbelievably corny, especially coming from someone who doesn't get caught up in such things, but I had been brainwashed by the world around me.  I had been taught to expect something, and so I waited in anticipation of the moment.  

I'm not sure if some things are a bust because they are hyped too much, or simply because you expect something different from what actually happens, but it is safe to say that picking the serb up in airport was far less romantic than I had expected.  It started well enough.  I saw her coming a ways off and was instantly drawn in as if I was seeing her for the first time.  In a few fleeting seconds I felt that twinge of nervous energy that you get when going out with a girl for the first time, and I was suddenly acutely aware of all my movements.  I was surprised in this sudden change as I was normally so relaxed.  As our eyes met and we drew close I felt the people around us pressing in as if we were suddenly in everyone's way.  In response to this feeling, I gave her a quick kiss, grabbed one of her bags and led her to a more isolated section to talk.  

Looking back, it is possible that I ruined the moment.  Had I slowed down, the romance of the occasion could have been saved.  However, I don't think that is the case.  It is easy to capture the perfect kiss on tv when the scene can be shot over and over, or in a book when the author can frame an image anyway they like.  It is much harder to capture this in the moment.  In fact, it wasn't until the next day when I think we both finally settled down enough in order to enjoy the moment that was meant for the airport.  Together, relaxed, and discussing some intellectual b.s. I finally felt it, and at the end of the day that is all either of us wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment