"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." -Doug and Alex

-Wayne Gretzky

Friday, August 13, 2010

Role Reversal (Alex)

I have noticed that there is a fundamental difference in the way we treat the fall back girl and the dream girl. Dream girls seem to have an aura that force us to treat them differently. You see, the fall back girl can easily be texted at anytime, and the conversation can be about anything. I simply do not care how she responds to what I say. Because of this, I generally start texting with lines like, "hey baby girl, what's good?" or "what's shakin'?"

Lately, I have been spending time with a girl who meets all my qualifications (see first post) in order to be my "dream girl." In the past, I would never take any risks texting, and would rarely be flirty. I was obviously scared about the possible repercussions. I have had such success with the fall back girls and my risque text messages, that I figured why not throw caution to the wind and talk to my "dream girl" in that manner. With this in mind, I decided to take a big-time chance. I realized that if I didn't take this chance, the conversations and relationship would never go anywhere. Attempting to add humor to my little experiment, I changed my "dream girls'" name in my phone to one of my "fall back girls'" name to make things as realistic as possible. I have always been very successful with this particular fall back girl. I began texting with, "what's good baby girl?" and her response was almost instantaneous. More shocking than her quick answer was what she said: "hey :):) what's up:)?" After her text I got distracted for a while with Doug and another friend, simply forgetting her like I would any old fall back girl. I responded with "just chilling with my boys. I bet you are jealous of them."

Throughout the evening the conversation continued this way. I would act confident, almost cocky and basically just ignore her throughout the night, often taking 15-20 minutes to get back to her. I had always thought that this was the wrong way to go about treating the "dream girl" but her instant answers and flirty mood made me question my previous thoughts. In subsequent days, she has texted to me and written on my facebook wall. All of these things make it seem that I have elevated our relationship. I have some proportion of control, and she has responded to that. What I think I am beginning to understand is that at this point in our lives, all girls want the nonchalant and difficult to read guy. They are drawn in by not knowing what we are thinking. Women, just as much as men, love the chase...and I plan on being difficult to catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment