"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." -Doug and Alex

-Wayne Gretzky

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ms. Mensa

When I came home from college and informed my main bros that I had a girlfriend, their reaction tended to be somewhat startled. Once regaining their composure, the conversation generally went like this:
bro: "You are in a relationship? Huh, I thought you were too much of a flirt for that."
me: "Well yah dude usually, but its different this time bro, and why not give it shot?"
bro: "So wait...this means you aren't gonna be hooking up with anymore babes?"
me: "Nah dude, trust me, she is more than good enough."
I generally like to keep my answers to their questions brief, and while the list of topics goes much deeper than the example I just gave, I felt it was important to give everyone a taste of what was discussed.

I met my girl in the beginning of November, and from the start I will admit I was quite taken with her. She's serbian, (an international student) and her looks were distinctive; she was striking compared to most american girls walking around campus. I was attracted to her instantly, (she has a high area code to say the least) and from our first conversation I detected an obvious and yet refined arrogance that she almost flaunted in front of me. Unlike most girls she saw right through my bullshit: she knew that at first all I wanted was a fling, and while I could tell she was interested, she was going to make me work for it. Finally, after several weeks of flirting back and forth, I finally broke through. Our first kiss was incredibly familiar. We were in sync, as if we had been together for years. At first, I chalked the easiness in which we seemed to kiss up to some sort of combination of sexual energy and tension. After all I thought, the first night we ended up in an academic building on campus; we must just be comfortable with each other.

For a few days I was able to ignore the feelings that I was obviously starting to feel for this Serbian babe. I told myself that it was fine to like her, and that I just needed to avoid falling hard. My plan didn't last long. We started spending time together, and with it, we started to actually talk. Our conversations, once filled with flirting and not much else, turned down a different path. The flirting, and sexual energy was still there, but something else had arrived too: real conversation. As we talked we began to learn things about one another. She is incredibly intelligent: She speaks several languages, her IQ is 158, which qualifies her as a Mensa Member, and she is very driven. She admitted to me that a lot of guys are intimidated by her obvious intelligence, and while I understood that, I found that it was having the opposite effect on me. Oddly, I found it attractive. I had been with so many vapid girls obsessed only with being attractive, and here I was with a girl that not only was incredibly attractive, but someone who challenged me intellectually. Apart from that, she revealed herself as being quite "bro." She loved the idea of the area code game when I introduced it to her, and was not turned off in the least when she found out about my blog. On top of that, she started taking up the habit of pointing out hot babes for me to check out when we were together, often asking for their area code. To be quite honest, I was stunned.

Once I accepted the fact that I was falling for this girl, it took me a long time to convince her to trust me. She knew I was a flirt, and was convinced that my romantic lines were the same ones that I used on every girl. She once told me that I was too charming not to flirt with every new and attractive girl that I met. While I was frustrated by my inability to convince her, I respected it. She was smart and had no intention of being played. Of course, this was not my intention either, but she still had her doubts. Slowly, over time, I charmed her enough to convince her that I was very much into her. (She was right, sometimes I am too charming for my own good.)

My friends ask me what is different about this particular girl. While there are many responses I can give, there is one thing that stands out above the rest: she demanded my respect. Unlike most girls, she didn't immediately fall for my corny lines that I use on a regular basis. Instead, she made me dig deeper, and upon doing that I found feelings for her that I never expected. She motivated me romantically and intellectually in a way that I wasn't accustomed to. Neither of us know what to expect, and it keeps things fun and spontaneous. It makes sense, so why fight it?

No comments:

Post a Comment