"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." -Doug and Alex

-Wayne Gretzky

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The "Social Constructs" of Society

Like it or not, society holds women to a higher standard when it comes to dating, partying, hanging out with friends, or just about anything that falls within the basic "social constructs" that we dictate.  Call it sexist, unfair, or just flat out wrong, more is expected out of a woman than a man in a social setting.  The thing is though, both sexes are guilty of these heightened expectations.  Who are the first people to point out the babe wearing the too short dress, or low cut shirt?  Women.  Who generally gossips about the seemingly shameless girl who is sleeping around?  Once again, the answer is almost always women.  Not to say that men are blameless.  We expect girls to be subtly seductive and yet not slutty.  We demand that a woman give us our space to be "men" and yet we assume that whenever we are in need she will respond with resourcefulness and ingenuity.  

I never said it was fair.  Quite simply, I can't imagine the pressure.  Despite this, I have to admit, I expect a woman to at least try to live up to these expectations.  I realize none of us are perfect.  I make mistakes, and so will any girl that I date.  However, society has taught me to look for certain attributes in anyone I consider dating.  When we go out, I assume that she will drink, but not so much that she losses control.  When we enter a room, I expect everyone's head to turn in awe of the beauty I've managed to make mine, but I don't want anyone to mutter the word "slut" upon our entrance.  When the night is through, I want her to show me how badly she wants me, but not so much that I don't take time to cherish every moment for fear that it could be the last.  

To be honest, I am unsure if this is too much to ask.  However, for better or worse, I believe it can be accomplished.  Furthermore, I suspect that society has dictated that women be held to a higher standard.  In return, I try to give something back.  I do my best to be intellectual, charming, and charismatic.  It may not be a fair, but I don't make the rules.  I just live by them.

No comments:

Post a Comment